home about projects services contact

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Chalkboard Project…


There are lots of chalkboard projects out there on blogland and on Pinterest. After sharing this post last May,  I have been wanting one to hang in my family room.  When Mimi found this beautiful ornate frame for me at a garage sale, I was excited to make my own.


image
 
image
 
 
This frame was perfect for the spot I had in mind. All I had to do was get a piece of board cut to size. First stop…Home Depot – where they will cut any board to your specific size…
 
 
image


I found this MDF board in a 2’x 4’ size so all I needed was this helpful guy to cut one foot off to fit my 2’x 3’ frame opening. MDF is an excellent option to use for a chalkboard since it is very sturdy and comes in a nice smooth finish…


image
 
 
A perfect fit…
 
 
image
 
 
Next, I had to find some type of hardware to hold my board in place. Mr. Helpful showed me to the aisle with all of the picture hanging options…and there are a lot!
 
 
image
 
 
I found these little metal glazier points that will work perfectly…
 
 
image
 
 
I purchased some Krylon Chalk Paint from my local Sherwin Williams store and got busy painting my board…
 
 
image
 
 
I used some inexpensive foam brushes that I had on hand and they worked perfectly…
 
 
image
 
 
After applying 4 thin coats over the next 2 days, I was left with a beautiful black chalkboard…
 
 
image
 
 
This next step is very important. You must “prime” your chalkboard with chalk before actually writing on it. This insures that you will not get ghost lines after you start using it…
 
 
image
 
 
Rub a piece of chalk over your entire board then wipe off. I suggest doing this step outside since it does create quite a bit of dust…
 
 
image
 
 
Last step…secure your chalkboard to your frame using the glazier points. I found it very easy by placing a putty knife against the little metal point and just tapping it in with a hammer…
 
 
image
 
 
Finally the fun part. Hang your new chalkboard and start drawing. I chose this particular message as I will be sending my oldest son off to college in a couple of weeks…
 
 
image
 
 
I love having this chalkboard canvas to doodle and draw on. I can change out the message and art with the seasons and my moods…
 
 
image
 
 
It is going to take a little practice to perfect my technique…but so far I am just having fun with it…
 
 
image
 
 
I decided to keep the frame as is for now. I like the colors and the distressed finish…
 
 
image
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
Do you like to doodle? Do you need a spot to leave family messages?
 
 
Try adding a fun and functional chalkboard to you décor!
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I love your chalkboard DIY but I am even more impressed with your cool writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have one very similar in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love to doodle and we need a place to leave messages in the kitchen. This needs to happen at my house! Thanks for sharing -- really great DIY directions/photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! How do you write so nicely on a chalk board! I so a not creative like that! I love the frame as is, but you could easily change it as the seasons change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! Love the elegant frame. Thanks for your tutorial. I had no idea you had to prime the chalk board. Your doodles are crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! It is so elegant and functional at the same time! I have been trying to find the perfect way to make one of these for our play area that my kids would like but wouldn't look too "juvenile" for our space. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the colors in the frame--so rich and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found the perfect frame for your chalkboard. I recently did one over an old print that was sitting in the closet. I put the chalkboard in my laundry room and have really been enjoying it. It's fun to change out the quotes.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10